Installing Electronic Ignition - 65 Crown

Installing Electronic Ignition - 65 Crown

> How big an operation would it be to install
> electronic
> ignition on my 65 Crown? I am a NOVICE mechanic but

Depends on the kit.  The Perktronics kit (about $80
from jegs) is a very simple install.  A semi-trained
mammal with opposable thumbs could probably install
one in about 2 hours.  A competant mechanic could do
it in one.  Being somewhere in between, I took about
an hour and a half.

A more thorough but also more expensive route would be
to install a complete electronic ignition system, AKA
Mopar Electronic Ignition.  These come with a brand
new distributor, Orange electronics box, and all the
wiring.  Also a very simple install, the competant
mechanic should be able to do one in an hour and a
half or so...I took about 2 hours.

> the kits being discussed recently very expensive?

The perktronics is about 80, the complete mopar system
is about 200, but comes with the new distributor.

> wonder if my Crown would prefer the electronic?
> Would
> I definately improve my mileage? (I only get 7.5 in
> the city). The bottom line: IS IT WORTH IT?

A perfectly tuned points ignition would theoretically
run no worse than a well-set up electronic one, but
the advantage with the electronic is you can set it
and leave it.  I elected to go with the electronic on
my '67 because the points were shot, and I used the
Perktronics at first, and it worked fine.  But, my
distributor had a lot of play in it so when i replaced
it I went with the whole Mopar Performance Electronic
setup.  And it runs well, too.

Bottom line, if you like originality, the points will
serve you well.  if you need to replace the
distributor anyway, or just don't want to mess with
the points every few months, I'd install an electronic
unit.

=====
--Mike Pittinaro

'Tis Christmas again