Gas MPG; who cares?

Roy -

> As I stated I got 18mpg when we went to Solvang, I was just
> curious about  the mileage, But those of us that can a ford
> IMPERIALS who cares, after all only rich people own IMPERIALS ,
> RIGHT???? 8mpg or 3mpg so what.

Well, I agree sort of.  But knowing your gas mileage should also give
you an indication on how well your car is running.  I think if you are
getting less than 12 mpg when cruising, or less than 9 mpg in city
driving (unless every stop light becomes a drag race for you), then your
Imperial isn't up to snuff.

It's not difficult to calculate mileage:

1.      Fill your tank and write down the odometer reading.
2.      Drive until you need a tank refill.
3.      Fill the tank again and write down how many gallons it took to fill
and the odometer reading.
4.      Subtract the first odometer reading from the last one.  This is how
many miles you drove on the amount of gas you just bought.
5.      Divide the number of miles by the number of gallons you filled with -
this is your MPG.

There may be slight variations from fill up to fill up, but this is a
fairly accurate way to calculate your MPG.  I've got 6 years of records
for my '66.

Bob