83 electrical problem

List,
Lately, my 83 has been quietly disconnecting the battery from the rest of the car. When I get in the interior lights all come on and then everything goes out and the amp guage light glows very dim and eventually goes out. After waiting 10 to 30 seconds everyting comes back on and away I go!. Apparently it has been happening during the night as several times the last month I noticed the clock has started over again at 12:00 am. I have checked the battery cable connections and they are very tight. Any ideas?
Leo H.
'83 EFI with a poltergist