Starting my 58 -- fuel system prep

Tony,

Yes, very likely but even if you can't see anything gross a thorough
cleaning and rebuild of the fuel system is in order if  the car has been
sitting without the engine being started for more than a couple of years.
 Some effort now could save you a lot of headaches later on.  I recommend
you disconnect the metal line at the tank and fuel pump and blast a can
of carb cleaner thru the fuel line.  If the fluid doesn't come out the
other end or just trickles out use compressed air to clear the line.
Toss the rubber sections and replace them.   The fuel pump and filter are
cheap and easy to replace so I would replace them too.  The carb will
likely be gummed up inside -- worst case the floats will be stuck to the
bottom of the float bowls so the carb will flood when the engine is
cranked.  Consider rebuilding the carb so it will be one less item to
fiddle with later once you get her started and running.  This can be the
last thing you do with the fuel system after everything else is cleaned
up.

John B.

On Tue, 29 Jan 2002 22:11:08 -0600 Tony Wright <tew@xxxxxxx> writes:

> One other question, though, related to the old gas tank that I
> didn't ask
> earlier.  Am I likely to find gunk clogging everything else from the
> tank
> to the engine - fuel lines, fuel pump, filters, carb, etc?  If so,
> any
> special tricks to also clean these up?

GET INTERNET ACCESS FROM JUNO!
http://dl.www.juno.com/get/web/.