68 fuel tank door

Hi all and especially 67 and 68 owners.
I just replaced the right side rear tail light on my LeBaron that was
damaged before I bough it in October (I was impressed by the weight of the
tail light assembly!).  I do not entirely remember how it was before, but
now it does not fully close.  It stays about 1/4 inch away from the stop
and does not "slam" shut like my sedan door.  It is as if the spring is
interfering with something close to the end of the stroke.  I can push it
all the way to the stop, but comes back a bit.  I removed and installed the
door a couple of times, but still can't get it to close right.  Does
anybody have experienced this before?   Also, the trunk lid on the same car
does not come down as low as the other 68, leaving a larger gap between the
chrome tail lights and the chrome of the trunk.  I tried to readjust the
latch, but the trunk did not close, so that's not it.  Any ideas?  These
are of course minor appearance issues that few would notice.
D^2