68 Imperial sedan windshield replacement

68 Imperial sedan windshield replacement

Hi all.
I know this is a well explored subject lately, but my issue is a bit
unique.  My 68 sedan windshield has a huge crack all along the width.  It
doesn't bother me too much, but I will have to replace it at some
point.  Now, there is a windshield on e-bay that is cheap ($50, is that
really cheap as the ad says?).  However, here is my dilemma.  A couple of
years ago I had the old torn vinyl top re-done (white color to protect me
from the Texas sun rather than black).  The fellow that did the job
discovered vast quantities of rust in the windshield area.  He sanded the
rust off on my instructions (had no $ to fix this professionally) and he
attached the new vinyl material with some sealing material where the vinyl
joins the windshield chrome, to prevent moisture re-entering the gap.  My
question is: if I replace the windshield now, will I be forced to have the
rust fixed at the same time?  Or is it possible to replace the windshield,
re-apply the sealer, and defer the rust repair to the future.  Anybody with
prior experience with that please advise.  Thanks.
D^2