Replacing "Imperial" script trim on '67?

Replacing "Imperial" script trim on '67?

Tim Klein/tim@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

Tim,

Answers embedded below...

> The piece of "Imperial" script trim on the trunk lid of
> my '67 Crown is pitted.  I'd like to swap it out for a
> replacement that I got on eBay.  But before I start yanking
> on it, I have some questions.
>
> -- What holds the trim piece to the car?  The replacement
> piece has four dull spike-like protrusions on the back,
> which obviously get inserted into holes in the metal of
> the trunk lid.  But what holds them in there?

The badges are held on by what are called "speed nuts," which are little
stamped things that have a hex shape that fits into a socket wrench but
whose threads are nothing more than two sharp edges that wrap around each
spike, dig into the soft metal, and hold the badge on as you tighten them
(but do not overtighten them!). You should be able to stick a "nutdriver"
(like a screwdriver handle for your socket wrench) into the holes on the
underside of the trunk lid and unscrew each speed nut, thereby loosening the
badge.

> -- How can I pull out the pitted piece?  I envision looping
> several strands of nylon fishing line around it and pulling
> on them in unison. :-)

See above for kindler, gentler method.

> -- The replacement piece has four "spikes".  But when I peer
> behind the existing script piece on the car, I'd swear I see
> five spikes -- the extra one being somewhere behind the
> lowercase "i".  The script pieces on the two sides of the
> car appear to have only four spikes though.  Hmmm, are these
> actually two different parts?  Is there any reason why I
> can't replace the five-spiked one on the trunk lid with a
> four-spiked one?

I believe all the Imperial badges on the car (well, all three on a '67 Crown
or Sedan) are interchangeable. Any chance you can see the remains (or stump)
of where the fifth spike was broken off your new badge, probably because
whoever removed it from the car pried of off from the outside rather than
unscrewing the speed nuts? Because of the way speed nuts are made (like I
said, just stamped into a hat shape), it is often possible to force them
loose this way, though it precludes their proper reuse and often breaks off
a spike or two.

If you cannot get the old badge off this way, write back and we'll figure
out Plan B, but Plan A as described is the proper way to remove and
reinstall a badge as such.

Good luck!
Chris in LA
67 Crown