Crown vs.Southhampton

Scott,

1962 Imperials came in 3 series - Custom, Crown and LeBaron

There were 3 body styles :
2-door hardtop (Custom, Crown)
4-door hardtop (Custom, Crown, LeBaron)
2-door convertible (Crown)

The hardtops, both 2-door and 4-door, were referred to as "Southamptoon"
(note it is all one word) from 1956 to 1962.  Although Chrysler Canada had
advertisements in 1963 showing a LeBaron 4-door Southampton (with the
Custom/Crown rear window), the word "Southampton" does not appear in the
1963 Imperial brochure.

Imperial did not make a 4-door sedan from 1961 through 1966.

So, in 1962 if you hve a convertible you do not have a Southampton.  If do
not have a convertible, you do have a Southampton.

Your serial number would tell you the series :
9123xxxxxx - Custom
9223xxxxxx - Crown
9323xxxxxx - LeBaron
The "9" is Imperial, the next digit for the Series :
1 - Custom
2- Crown
3 - LeBaron
The next "2" is for 1962 and the "3" for the Jefferson Avenue assembly
plant.  The last six digits are for the sequential production number.

The serial number does not have a digit for either the body style or the
engine (which was 413 in all 1962 Imperials).

Bill
Vancouver, BC