Safety is overrated

If you know your machine and KNOW (deeply) how to
drive it and exactly what it is and isn't capable of
you can overcome many "Drawbacks."  Keep in mind that
most "Improvements" have their drawbacks too.  Yes, my
drum brakes are a pain and they fade, but they with
them it is much easier to choose whether or not to
lock up the brakes (and we all know that many of us
hate AntiLock brakes with a passion for good reason if
they are used to controlling the skid themselves).
EFI is great but it requires a computer (blech!) and
dealing with unrepairable throw away parts.  Modern
"overdrives" have their issues too, I love and hate
the one on my winter beater.

My thing:  Be suspicious of "Improvements" and
understand why you are making them.  All of the
systems on every Imperial work pretty darn well if you
really want to learn them well enough to understand
and maintain them properly (I hear that the 80's EFI
is this way too, but sounds like a nightmare to me...)
 And with proper maintenence many systems will remain
serviceable years longer than their modern
counterparts.  But ultimately, do what you think is
best.  Don't say that you had to do it, because unless
there's a law in your state that is not grandfathered,
you didn't.  Good, bad, or indifferent, it was a
choice.

If you want to make extensive changes, do so realizing
that you have a rare car and that their are pros and
cons to what you are doing and that preserving the
history of the marque is worthwhile, but probably
doesn't depend on you and only you.

Timothy

"Virgil" A 1960 4DR Custom Southampton 35,000 mi who
is original excepting the tires, the hidden stereo,
and the rainbow stickers over the headlights.