440 vac leak??

> Now for the interesting stuff, under some conditions
> of timing, I can screw the idle jets all the way in
> and the car still runs which makes me think vacuum
> leak.  Also the car will not idle down below about 600
> RPM even with the screw completly backed out.

Kerry:
    If you can screw the idle jets all the way in and it still runs then
either the engine is idling fast and bypassing the idle circuit or you have
an internal gas leak somewhere.  I have had a very similar problem on a '65
GM carb where the float sunk a little bit allowing the gas to dribble into
the intake.  The problem was much worse With the air cleaner on the engine
because it increased the vacuum at the gasket between the top and body of
the carb.

                                          Steve