Torqflite Transmission

Tow thing could be at play here.  It could be as simple as low fluid level -
to be checked with engine warmed up, at idle, not off - or the cable
adjustment going into the transmission may need to be re-set.

The latter job is a bear, and a good result come more from trial and error
than procedure.  The movement of the cable itself is infinitesimal.  We are
talking in the sixteenths of inches difference between drive and neutral.
There is an adjustment plate where the cable enters the transmission.  Once,
I got a huge difference in performance simply by un-doing the nut and
retightening it immediately, with no perceptible movement to my eye.

Hugh