To paint or not to paint

I would leave it the way it is till you can afford to do it correctly. If you
plan on doing again later, the money spent now would be mostly wasted. A second
option would be to fix the rust properly now & just put some paint over the
repair areas to hold it till later. If you live in a dry climate like here in
Phoenix, you could leave it like it is & it won't get much worse until your
ready to fix it.
John