A/c & hoses & refrigerant

Greetings, all:
Just returned from seeing "my air conditioning man" for service on one of my
six cars.  During the visit, we talked about R-12, 134-A, and some of the
other "new' refrigerants on the market.
Specifically, he noted (the man with over 26 years of on the job experience)
stated that IF you do convert from R-12 to 134-A, yes, do change the hoses
and the filter dryer, as well as evacuate the system.  Then, do the
conversion.  Mine was done last summer; IT WORKS ! After all, the compressor
holds about 4 1/2 pounds: it cools nicely.
If you also replaced the compressor -- at whatever cost -- then use only
R-12 (at est $80/# locally) or the 134-A ONLY.  Why, only those two items?
Check with the warranty portion of your NEW compressor:  it is valid only
with R-12 or 134-A.  If you experience any problems in the operation of your
a/c AFTER you (or the a/c man) installed ANYTHING ELSE, upon inspection by
the manufacturer, YOUR WARRANTY IS VOID -- and they will send you the bill
for the teardown and inspection of your "new" compressor.  Remember, they do
have ways to test to see what refrigerant you installed!  BUYER BE WARE.....
My entire system was replaced (compressor, hoses, filter dryer, 134-A, the
whole ball of wax - so to say) for LESS THAN $530.00 last summer.  And, the
compressor is -- if not the original style, rebuilt -- at least a real look
alike, for my 64 Crown Coupe.
Best of wishes to all in their cooling endeavors.  Later, ne (in Ohio).