Raffi's 62 Brakes

The repair of the oval brake booster is quite simple.  However this must be
conceived as only a temporary repair.

The oval brake booster is a very simple piece of kit.  It is basically just
a cylinder with poppet valves and a large neoprene diaphram and piston.  It
is nine times out of ten the neoprene that wears.  The centre of the
cylinder has a shaft that runs through the centre of the neoprene diaphram
and piston.   If you disassemble an oval cylinder you will find all the
poppet valves towards the front and a valve block that's held in position by
two split pins or Salock pins as we call them in England.  If you remove the
two pins you can slide the valve block off the end of the shaft and then
remove the diaphram and piston.  If you inspect the diaphram where it is in
contact with the shaft, you will find that it has worn.  The best way of
describing it is that the contact edge of the diaphram should look like and
oil seal with a raised edge on the internal diameter.   What I did with mine
was to find an O ring and bond it with an epoxy resin to the diaphram so it
made a new contact surface to the diaphram.  Also at this stage there is a
nylon washer that also causes wear, you will need to check that.  Prior to
reassembly I coated the shaft liberally with rubber grease thats used in
brake cylinders, etc.

Please bear in mind that this is only a temporary repair, even though the
epoxy resin I used had a 1200 psi tension.  I repaired the brake booster 18
months ago and its still working as good as new now..

When the brake booster is disassembled, only use alcohol to clean the brake
parts and poppet valves and the inside of the actual cylinder.

Hope this is of help.

Dave
60 Le Baron
England