Rustproofing/metal tests

Cadmium would actually be a poor choice for rustproofing iron since it
has a lower redox potential (0.402 V).  This means that it would oxidise
after iron (0.44 V).  Aluminium (1.677 V) and zinc (0.762 V) would be
better choices with zinc being the better choice of the two.  Does it
really matter which metal was used?  As far as a simple test goes, zinc
and aluminium will give very similar results to tests that one could
easily get the reagents for (i.e. hydroxide, both will give a white
precipitate).  In truth, they're a pain in the butt to distinguish.  The
oxides of both will be white, so you can't tell them apart that way
either.  To actually test for it you would need to scrape off some of
the coating and then dissolve it in some acid (pref. HCl since nitric
can interfere with things) and then combine with some reagent.  To get
enough to perform a qualatative analysis (i.e. no machinery) you'd
probably have to scrape for a while, and removing the coating would be
rather counterproductive.  So unless its imperative that you know what
metal is there, and have access to a chem lab, I don't think its really
worth worrying about.

James