1/8 'stat Hole(Jerry H) was: Cooling System. A "Cool" Example. Otis Davi

1/8 'stat Hole(Jerry H) was: Cooling System. A "Cool" Example. Otis Davis

Hello Jerry,(and List),

The reasoning I have behind drilling a small hole in the 'stat is to lessen
the Thermal shock that happens when the thermostat first opens letting cold
coolant into the engine by letting a very small amount constantly through.

The small hole also allows air to escape from the system easier when
replacing a hose,refilling the system,etc. It prevents the formation of an
air pocket at the thermostat which would prolong it's opening.

Just make sure that the hole is small so that warm-up time is not
excessively prolonged. I find that an 1/8 hole,drilled about 3/8 in from the
outer edge,works just fine. Don't drill the hole in the moveable part of the
'stat.

I have used this technique in all of my MoPars,daily-drivers,the RV,etc for
years. I can't remember who first mentioned it to me. It was a long time
ago.

Steve from Albany,N.Y.
'75 Imp 4dr
'70 440 powered 35 ft RV