shudder on a '57

Hi,
saturday i put the Imp on a lift to see how is the center
bearing, driveshaft (i've a leak at the "nose" of the rear end:
the oil seal is new (3 years) but ther's a small leak. i must put
a new one but perhaps put a very thin sleeve behind it to move
the lip contact area).
The mecanic found that the flange nut wasn't very tighten, he
removed easily the nut (this nut must be torqued at 240 ft/lbs)
with air ratchet gun. he tights again the nut with his tool and
now the shudder has disapeared ! I remember i tight this nut some
years ago when i replaced the seal but perhaps with vibrations of
driveshaft (i had to replaced the center support which was very
worn) the nut became a little loose so the pinion bearings were
not well loaded. I hope that i haven't damaged the 2 bearings, i
'll check the front bearing when i'll replace the oil seal (it
seems that Napa have them).
I think also that when we tight the flange nut we preload the
bearings. Does the 240 ftlb torque must be reach ? I don't have
new adjusting shims bearings and it seems that the preload of the
bearings need special tools

--
Philippe COURANT (Pau, France)
Imperial 57 Crown convertible