importing a 77 NYB

For information on importing a vehicle from the U,S, into Canada, go to the
Trasnport Canada site at -

www.tc.gc.ca/roadsafety/importusa/impusae.htm

There are contact numbers, addresses and e-mail addresses of persons you can
contact for details on what paperwork will be needed when you cross back
into Canada with the vehicle.

The site lists what cars can, and cannot, be imported into Canada.
Basically, any car built before 1986 can be imported, but the vehicle must
have the VIN intact and it must have the date of manufacture of the
vehicle - which can be found on the vehicle certification label on the
driver's door post.   Also, any type of  safety equipment (seat belts, air
bags) installed by the factory at time of manufacture must be present.

Problems importing cars begin with the 1986 model year, as cars built for
the American market may not meet Canadian safety standards, which are
generally stricter than the U.S.   Transport Canada can tell you which
vehicles meet the standards, which vehicles can be modified to meet the
standards, and which vehicles cannot be imported because the vehicle cannot
be modified to meet the Canadian standards.

As to taxes, with NAFTA in full flower (supposedly), the only tax you should
have to pay is the GST and the PST.  A 1977 Chrysler is now 25 years old.
Check with the Ontario Motor Vehicle Department (or equivalent).  You may
need to meet some other provincial qualifications.  Also, get a list of the
paperwork they require to transfer the ownership of the vehicle to yourself
once you are back in Ontario.

As to driving the car to Canada, first check with U..S. Customs.  They are
just as picky about cars leaving the country as they are entering.  So, call
the closest U.S. Customs Office.  Ogdensburg or Buffalo, NY come to mind.

You will probably have to insure the car in Canada before you go.  Get the
seller to complete a bill of sale and mail/fax it to you.  Also get a copy
of the registration.    You should be able to get temporary, or in-transit,
registration in Arizona upon presentation of the proof of insurance, bill of
sale and registration.

I recently moved a 1983 Imperial from Calgary to Vancouver.  I know it's not
quite the same as moving it from Arizona to Ontario, but...   ICBC (the
local insurance company) wanted a copy of the bill of sale and the vehicle's
registration to sell me temporary coverage (or "binder" as they call it) to
move a vehicle not registered in B.C.  In Calgary, I obtained an "In
Transit" sticker from an Alberta registration office upon presenting
driver's licence, proof of insurance, bill of sale and the Alberta
registration.  Once in Vancouver, the vehicle had to go through a safety
inspection before I could transfer the ownership and insure/register the
vehicle in B.C.   This why I suggest you check with the province of Ontario
about what you need to do once you get back to Ontario with the vehicle.  I
know  you will need the Transport Canada Vehicle Import Form, for one.

If you can, get someone to check the vehicle in person.  Perhaps there is
someone on the list who can assist you there.  I would not go by pictures or
videos.  The only true way to tell  (well, closest way to tell) the
condition of a vehicle is to see it and drive it.  If you, or someone acting
on your behalf, can do neither, say "bye".   If you plan on driving the
vehicle back, give yourself time to take care of such things as brakes,
tires, steering (personal experience talking here), as well as things that
may go wrong on the road.

Should you go for it, have fun.  It should be a beautiful trip this time of
year.

Bill
Vancouver, BC