Rear amp, parts, insurance

Hi all,

The rear amp in my '83 seems to cut out on the left channel (goes to regular
volume) every once-in-a-while.  If I turn it off and back on, it works OK
again for a while.  Any ideas?  It doesn't sound like a loose connection, it
just drops in volume, almost as if a transistor is going bad or something.

No, I have not checked any electrical connections yet - I WISH IT WOULD WARM
UP AND STOP RAINING so I could!!  Sorry.  Four straight days of mid '40 temps
and rain gets to you.  Next weekend is Memorial Day for crying out loud!

Oh, and my two cents on the non-standard parts.  Sometimes it just is not
practical or affordable to repair a car with original parts.  Up here in the
Northeast you're lucky to find a car in a junkyard more than 10 years old,
and, isn't a piece of rust with wheels.

Also, my Imp has the factory carb setup.  A mixed blessing.  I wish that it
had the original EFI - believe me!  But, it doesn't.  (Please Dick B. don't
say "Ugh!" any more.)  I would love to get in and start up and drive away
like a modern car, but I have the old carb blues.  On the other hand though,
when I hear of the problems of keeping the EFI (I know it can be repaired) I
think about the carb rebuild kit I bought off the shelf a while ago.

It would be impossible for me to afford a conversion back to EFI, let alone
even begin to find the parts.  It's the only '83 I have ever seen in real
life, and a twenty year old car here, without major rust is a tough find.

So for me, keeping it running an able to enjoy it, is all that matters.  If
someone at a car show (or club) doesn't like it - it's their problem.  It's
my car.

If it wasn't beige, I would even toy with the idea of turning it into a
'street rod' with different wheels and tires, custom exhaust etc.  Who knows,
maybe I will anyway some day.

The easiest way to stay original is to find an original and not drive it
much.  That's no fun.  I get a kick at watching the 'trailer queens' at car
shows when it starts to rain.  8-)

By the way, as far as old car insurance goes, I have American Collector's
Insurance.  Costs me about $100.00 bucks a year.  The only catch is that you
can't drive more than 2500 miles a year.  (No problem here, the summer isn't
long enough!)

They are at http://www.americancollectorsins.com/

I can get the phone number if you want.  You can even have your car featured
as 'Car of the Week' on their web site.

Dan Wing
Imp1983@xxxxxxx

'83 Imp, beige, wire wheels, factory carb.