Calif Cars and Rust

Hola

Last year we purchased a 1966 Le Baron from a family that lives in Fremont,
Calif.  This family had 1963 Le Baron that was used prior to their 66. They
liked the idea that I drove to their home in our 63 Le Baron to tow the 66
back to my home here in Colo Spgs.

Even tho I now live in Colo Spgs I grew up Poway, Calif.  As I read about
vehicles for sell and the whatever the wording of "Calif Car" seems to
appear.  Its always rust free.  That is true if one has a car that was not
parked on the beach at La Jolla.

What is not mentioned is that owners in the warmer climents don't always use
the same amount of anti-freeze in their cooling systems.  Why should
they...it only gets down to 37 sometimes.  ( As a student at Poway HS I did
not own a coat.)

I decided to remove the radiator on the 66 to have it cleaned at the local
radiator shop since I have plans on using the car to pull an Air Stream
trailer.  As I remove the top hose the wire coils inside of the hose fell
out.  The radiator shop called yesterday morning to let me know that after
the dipping the thing was full of holes.  When I found the wire coils all
over the place I went to NAPA for new hoses.  Yesterday afternoon I took the
upper hose from the water pump. The top of the thermostat is full of brown
crud.  Back to the store for a new 180 degree 'stat.  I was just speaking to
another Imperialist about this and he mentioned the freeze plugs should be
changed out.  Its a good thing that I already have a set.  About two years
ago I purchased two new water pump housings and pumps ( Alum MoPar
Performance from ebay).  I hate to use the new housing and pump on an engine
that seems to be running just fine.  But then since I already have enough
room to do it now it seems like cheap insurance.  (Its a long way from the
ground over to the top of the engine bay and then back downwards to the water
pump area.)

Today I'll take off the heater hoses and see what I find (after I open up the
water pump and finish changing the 'stat.

                                                 Rodger & Gabby

47 De Soto Custom
63 Le Baron
66 Le Baron