Steering gear box (leak)

Hello Ed,(and List),

Where is your '69 Steering Box leaking? Chances are,it doesn't need to be
replaced because of the leak.

Possibly it is leaking from the Pitman-arm seal. If so,a trustworthy garage
should be able to easily replace the seal for you....and without removing
the box. The Pitman-arm is the big,heavy arm which comes out of the bottom
of the box and attaches to the Drag-link. A Pitman-arm puller is needed,as
well as a huge socket(1-3/8?) and an air-impact gun. Whatever you do,make
sure that no one ever uses a large balljoint/tie-rod splitter(a.k.a.
Pickle-fork)to remove the Pitman arm. In that case,force(banging with a
hammer) is used between the box case and the arm...putting enormous stresses
on the bearings inside the box,ruining the bearings and gouging the case
where the seal is....sometimes to the point where the seal cannot be
removed.

Here is a link to the puller:
http://buy.snapon.com/catalog/pro_det.asp?P65=yes&qt=1&INV_ONHAND=&FREIGHT=&qty=1&Item_id=10316&PartNo=CJ119B&Price=88.75&ListPrice=88.75&FORMNAME=1&Desc=Puller%2C+Pitman+Arm+%28Domestic+Cars%2FLight+Trucks%29&SUB_Cat_ID=1038660&SUB_Cat_NAME=Special+Automotive+Pullers&Cat_ID=1037997&Cat_NAME=Pullers&group_id=1245&group_NAME=Pitman+Arm+Pullers&store=snapon-store&dir=catalog
  ...WOW! That is the biggest link I have ever seen!  A search of CJ119B
will work too. This puller is about $88. Cheaper ones can be had....but take
your chances.

You are better off bringing it somewhere to have the seal replaced...because
the tools cost more than if a garage did it.

Steve from Albany,N.Y. <--we could use some of that "Global Warming" up
here!
'75 Imp 4dr <--potential buyer looked at it yesterday. You want to drive it
in the winter??!! Sorry buddy.
'79 440 powered 35 ft RV