Thermal Ignition Control Valves (TIC Valves)

Thermal Ignition Control Valves (TIC Valves)

hi gang:

can someone advise me on the merits,if any, of replacing this valve? this valve applies manifold vacuum to the vacuum advance unit of the distributor in order to increase engine idle speed and engine cooling when coolant temp.reaches above 225 degrees.Below 225 degrees it doesn't work.

It has 3 vacuum ports on the valve; one to manifold vacuum source, one to top of OSAC valve and one to vacuum advance on distributor. On mine, the top port is missing so it probably doesn't work right  and to further complicate things it is routed thru the OSAC valve so if one is not working then probably both are not working right.

I routed vacuum hoses on OSAC correctly and bypassed TIC valve and car is running beautifully; therefore my question is do i really need this TIC valve..i mean if coolant temp starts to rise while stuck in traffic can i get the same results from putting it in neutral and stepping on the gas to increase engine speed?

i guess i am afraid to take off the old valve(hard to get to) but i will take it to a pro if need be...any help would be appreciated..thanks!

mark blitman
'74 imp