Body manufacturers

Budd made bodies for Dodge Brothers until 1929 or 1930, and they were the
first with an all-steel body (touring car) and the first all-steel sedan
(Dodge Brothers, 1928).  The unitbody on the Citroen Traction-Avant was the
work of Budd and they had a hand in developing the unitbody on the 1941 Nash
600.

Budd does make a number of the larger stampings for both Chrysler and Ford,
and used to do quite a bit of the body stamping for Studebaker.   They did
not (and do not) make the whole bodies, though, just the stampings which
manufacturers like Chrysler, Ford, et al would use, along with stampings
made by themselves and other outside suppliers, to make their own bodies.

One small footnote here, when Chrysler bought Briggs Body, Briggs was also
making bodies for Packard.  Chrysler gave Packard a two year notice when
they took over.  Thus the 1953 and 1954 Packard bodies were built by
Chrysler for Packard.

Bill
Vancouver, BC