Self-Inflicted Chrome Plating - Caswell Link

Self-Inflicted Chrome Plating - Caswell Link

Thanks for your confidence... in my prior life in Corporate Generica, it was important to SOUND like you knew something, whether or not you actually did... :)

The setup I've been looking at can be seen at http://www.caswellplating.com.  It is a "Triple Chrome" setup, which works in a manner similar to a plater's... you buff the part to near perfection, apply a coat of copper to fill imperfections, buff the copper to perfection, apply a coat of nickel, then a thin coat of chrome (I had always thought triple chrome meant three coats of chrome... apparently this is not the case).  Anyway, I get all warm and fuzzy looking at the stuff on their site... I sure would like to hear from someone who has used their kits.

The web site does say that their system does not use cyanide.  I know we have a chemist or two on the list... anybody care to offer their opinion of the Caswell system as compared to a plating shop?

There is also a new product that looks like it may be useful for plastic parts in drivers like mine, called Silvachrome.  I'm sure it's not like vacuum metallizing, but it would probably pass in a driver...  The fact that it's applied with a PreVal sprayer makes me think its not real durable, but who knows?

Looking forward to hearing something more about this!
Steve Charette