brake lines needed

Mark:

There are two concerns with your front steel brake line.  First, if
it twisted off it probably is already very corroded and may
not seal correctly or may fracture after the repair.  Second you need
to "double flare" brake lines.  You can buy these tools (most people
don't own one) and since you move a lot of material during the
double flare it is best to do this with new lines.

I have replaced lines on cars with the straight sections of lines with
the fittings and flares already in place.  You can buy several
lengths at most auto replacement stores.  You can also put two lengths
together with a coupling and come very close to the correct length.  It
may be much easier to install if you run the line half way from each
direction and couple them in the middle somewhere under the pan.

Once you get into it the job is really easier than it looks and you will
enjoy the peace of mind of having new brake lines.  I believe that here
in the Midwest no one should run a car with steel brake lines that are
over 20 years old.  They do rust through and fail.

Routing the line under the engine may not be a lot of fun and it isn't
nearly as exciting as trying to steer a 5000 pound block of steel out
of the way of traffic with the brake pedal on the floor.  I would not
gamble with anything less that factory specifications and practices
when dealing with brakes.

Good luck.

                                    Rolland