vacuum leak saga continued

Ah Mark, that's a GOOD clue.  Your problem is most
likely a vacuum leak on the automatice parking brake
release.  You should be able to find a vacuum hose
that runs THROUGH the firewall.  Disconnect it and cap
it at the engine.  See if that solves your problem.
You might be able to easily find it under the dash and
plug it temporarily as well.  It's up by the parking
brake.  Capping it at the engine eliminates a cracked
hose as well as the release unit. If that solves your
problem you can troubleshoot further.

Kerryp