IML - rear cam bearing

Hi ..

For Kerry, who caught that point that I had failed to mention, since this
particular bit job is one that is hopefully not done so often, on the rear
bearing we had a couple options.  One was to use a cape chisel and split the
bearing, and at that point reach in and grab it and pull it out...or we used
a dremel.  Mind you, we did this when we knew we were going to do an inframe
overhaul on the big diesel stuff, so the block was quite bare at this
point....but still easier than removing the engine or splitting it from an
equally heavy and awkward transmission.

I dont think I would try this trick on an engine with the pan still in
place, where the risk of dropping something is just to great ......one micro
piece of metal is still two too many.   I suppose the idea I should have
mentioned was just the " poor mans " cam bearing tool, as opposed to opening
up a big can of worms regarding the many things that can be done but perhaps
shouldnt to an engine.  I agree though, an inframe is completely feasable on
nearly any car, but if I have to go that far, Id personally rather pull it
out and make sure its right.

Mikey