Rare "Imperial" Spotted

Hi to all -

I was at the Rodeo Drive car show last Sunday and was very fortunate to
see a rare 1940 Thunderbolt, the last project from LeBaron studios on an
Imperial frame/engine.  This was a Chrysler concept car, along with the
Newport, designed by Ralph Roberts and Alex Tremelius.  Very sensational
at the time, totally streamlined, with retractable headlights and top.
Some info is on the website.

I was more fortunate to talk to the owner, who did a meticulous and
accurate restoration before showing the car at Pebble Beach in 1997.  I
asked him if he knew that Ralph Roberts was living in South Pasadena and
he said he extensively interviewed him before Mr. Roberts passed away.

His knowledge about the Thunderbolt is very good and he's shared this
with the Chrysler museum.  One important new fact - only 5 each of the
Thunderbolt and Newport were built and 4 of each now exist, including an
unrestored Thunderbolt near San Diego.

The 1956 Parade Phaeton from the Peterson Museum was also displayed and
it looked great out in the open.

Bob

PS  I've been on digest mode since early May and am way behind in
reading messages - too busy at work and socially!  I've had my '66
LeBaron at the recent Road Kings car show in Johnny Carson Park,
Burbank.