non-starting '83

sounds  like the starter relay.

>From: "Neal Herman" <chrycordoba@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
>Subject: IML: non-starting '83
>Date: Thu, 20 Jun 2002 21:34:10 -0400

My Imperial's little sister has conked out, in about the worst possible place.  I put my '83 Cordoba in the underground apartment garage I use to store the Imperial and Riviera, when I took the Riv to Chicago on a road trip last week.  When I returned on Monday, the Cordoba wouldn't start.  The lights, radio, clock, windows, etc. work fine.  When I turn the key there's one click, and no other life.  It doesn't try to turn over at all.  I tried jump starting it with the Riv, and with a charger box that a friend has, and tried in park and in neutral.  I moved the shift lever back and forth too.  Nada.  The car has 156,000 miles, and the battery is exactly 5 years old.  It has given no indication it's failing, and if it was, then why do the lights work?  I suspect the starter, but have also heard from friends that it could be a ballast resistor or a neutral safety switch, which I had to replace in the Imperial two months ago.  Do I have these in this car, with a 318 cid v-8?

Trying to get the Cordoba out of the garage will be a real b**ch, with a curving driveway up an incline, and a couple of turns and forward/reverses to get it out.  She's my daily driver, and I really have to stop using the classic, show-car Riviera for commuting.  Any thoughts, guys and gals?

Neal Herman
1959 Imperial Crown
1972 Buick Riviera
1983 Chrysler Cordoba