Sent: Sunday, June 30, 2002 9:29 PM
Subject: Re: IML: Where is all my Dextron II going?

Thanks all for the responses.

>Don't know how else tranny fluid could get on the manifold except the
>trans cooler lines.
>Rob

Well Rob, it turns out you were right.  The cooler hoses are routed on top
of the left fender well and then down to the lower radiator.  I could not
see any leak from there at first, but I could see the red fluid on the
pavement.  At some point, I put the tranny in reverse (against an incline)
and then I could see the fluid pouting from one of the hoses (could not see
the leak in neutral, apparently there is no flow/pressure).  Its a real old
hose, and the high heat just killed it off.  Fortunately, it did not start
leaking till after the high speed run.  What I thought was P/S fluid, it
was transmission fluid all along.  Later, the transmission cooled down, so
it stopped spraying, but the leak continued.

So, all I have to do is replace that hose, and the lost fluid.  That will
fix my problem.  I definitely need a transmission cooler, just like on my
other 68.

>I thought that was the wrong trans fluid for use in torqueflites because
>of "slipping" agents for GM transmissions????

Well, sorry, I meant Dextron III, not II.  Don't know nothing about these
"secret" agents though.

>You may have a vacuum modulator valve on the trans.. if the diaphragm on
>the modulator is leaking, trans fluid will be sucked into the intake
>manifold and burned.

That could have been another good possibility.  However, to the best of my
knowledge, the Torquflite does not use vacuum for shifting control.  Am I
right?

Another interesting note.  While messing with the hoses trying to figure
out my leak (on a dark covered shelter trying to stay dry, its been raining
most of the day here), I accidentally touched the fan of the running 440
with my finger.  I was lucky though, no damage.  Did not even cause any
pain.  I was surprised.  Lets try to be careful!

D^2