67 vapor lock?

> shut off for a while.  The problem is probably that
> your float level is too high.  This allows the fuel
> to expand and overflow the float bowl and into the

Hot starts weren't too bad, it was just that the car
was idling poorly when hot.  So today I headed down to
my local speed shop to see what they and my Visa card
could do to remedy the situation.

All the spacers they had were 1" or taller, and I knew
that would lift the air cleaner up too much and it
would hit the hood.  The one product that caught my
eye was by Mr. Gasket.  Esentially, the kit consisted
of 3 aluminum plates and 4 carburator gaskets, you
sandwich the aluminum between the gaskets, and it acts
effectively as a radiator between the carb and the
manifold.  I bought that, as well as some longer
carburator studs.

1/2 hour later, it was installed, and the carb was
lifted about 1/2" higher.  The hood closed.  Phew.
Next the test drive.  Car started right up, and after
15 or 20 minutes of driving in Maryland's blessed 90
degree afternoon humidity, it idled just fine.

of course, I seem to have discovered a new problem:  a
hissing sound from the brake booster.  When I
disconnect and plug the booster vacuum line it goes
away, but engine idle is relatively unaffected.  Plus,
eeven with the booster connected, the idle seems rich
(black stuff out the pipes).  Hmmmmm...

Oh well, it runs, right?  I pity my friend who's
planning on taking his '62 New Yorker to Carlisle and
still has the axle sitting on a workbench.  ;)

=====
--Mike Pittinaro

Piles of pitted chrome
Hubcaps along the floorboard