The Definitive Tapered Hub/Axle Nightmare

The Definitive Tapered Hub/Axle Nightmare

I may have missed a few dozen inputs to this thread...

Last year I "tackled" the rear drums on our '64 Crown.  It had been stored outdoors, on blocks in Modest, CA for over 12 years, so the drums were pretty well set to the shafts.  I bought the "correct" puller $$ and followed the FSM instructions.  When that did not work, I added heat, ice, lubricants, and a still more hammering... you name it I tried it.  Those babies were not budging!!

A local mechanic, who only works MOPARS, suggested that I use an impact wrench on the puller forcing screw, instead of the "spinner".

Now may laugh, you may cry, or you may shriek in fear.   I tried it with my 1/2" pneumatic impact, and POW, they came off!  No damage to the tool, and none to the axle ends.

Before I did it, I applied a generous amount of (NAPA) antiseize lube to the end of the axle, and the threads of the forcing screw.  I bought the tool from NAPA, it's in their Tools and Equipment catalog.

Hey, we have brakes now  :o)  :o)

Bill & Tami
'64 Crown