undercoating

Title: Re: IML: undercoating
Sounds to me like someone recently undercoated it., an old used-car dealer trick to hide underbody rust. I'm not sure how old this 11K-mile car is, but undercoating should be completely dry within days. Sometimes home-applied aerosol types stay tacky a little while longer, but if it comes off on your finger on a cool car, something seems amiss.

If it's purported to be factory undercoating, and the car has 11,000 miles on it, every piece of road grit the car ever drove over should be stuck in the underbody goo you seem to be finding. It would look like a cake frosted with toasted coconut (only upside down).

Sounds fishy to me...
Chris in LA

Stan5907@xxxxxxx (Stan5907@xxxxxxx) wrote:
The reason I am asking the question is a I am looking at a car that look to have 11k original miles the only thing that looks a little out of whack to me is the undercoating.  The wet to touchiness of it.  If any one has any knowledge of this I would really like to hear from you.