OIL pan HELP -centerlink in the way!

I am doing some engine work and have some stuck lifter, some unstick and come out but one falls into the engine and is in the oil pan I hope. This does not upset me as I will just unbolt the oil pan to remove it, wrong, wrong. The centerlink has to come off, so knowing that I am NOT to use a pickle fork I go to NAPA an buy a pitman arm puller with a 1 5/16 opening. Put it on and screw it down tight and wack it some, same process repeated. Well, I think I must be moving the right item, wrong again. The sides of the puller have pulled around the centerlink and are spreading as I screw and wack. This is the only size puller I can find so I must be doinf something wrong here. Does the car need to be on a lift? Please, coach me...
Charles
63 IMP
62 NY
28 PLY