electric seats

--- Hallock Lorraine <blondcoranet@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
wrote:
> I have a 1971 imperial with 50/50 bench seat, 6 way
> electric on both , only the forward and backward
> works on both seats, does anyone know the most
> likely problem, As there are 3 motors on each seat,

Hi Tim & Lorraine,

Most likely, the seats are just "stuck."  I've
encountered this problem on a couple of different '71
Imperials over the years.  Another less-likely option
would be an electrical problem with either the
switches or the motors.

One simple question will point to the problem -- do
you hear a "click" or any other noise when you move
the toggle switches?  If no, the problem is
electrical.  If yes, the seats are indeed stuck.

If the seats are stuck, a few well-placed hammer blows
will most likely loosen them.  If you look under the
seats, you can clearly see all the tracks that the
seats move on.  Take a big, heavy hammer and give a
good "whack" or two to the heavy metal potions of the
mechanisms that you can see at the extreme front and
rear of the seats.  Be sure that you're aiming at the
parts that are obviously made of a heavy gauge metal.
Hit them pretty hard a couple of times, and then try
the switch again.

I've used this method successfully several times.

Good luck!

Elijah
3 '71 Imperials with occasionally stuck seats