440 keeps running even after its turned off?

440 keeps running even after its turned off?

[Kevin:  The condition you describe is called
"dieseling" which, you'll find several responses in
your mail.  To temporarily eliminate this, until you
find a permanent cure, is to shut off the engine while
in gear.

I tried the "drizzling water down the carburetor"
trick on my '50 Olds 88.]