'68 Dream Car

Dear Dan,

I enjoyed your message.  I almost feel as if I could written it.  That's very
similar to many experiences I had as a kid.

I, too, tried to convince my parents to buy an Imperial.  My Mom loved
Cadillacs, which I thought were okay but nowhere near as cool as Imperials.  I
used to drag them down to the showroom at least once a year and try to point out
the differences.  They never listened.

The closest I got to having a Chrysler at that time was a neighbor's car.  They
used to let me and a friend sit in the front seat of their '68 Newport and
debate which was the better car: a Chrysler or a Pontiac (my friend loved
Pontiac's).  I finally got my friend to agree that Chryslers had better
interiors but he still thought Pontiacs looked better from the outside.  The
neighbors apparently trusted both of us not to tear up their car or put it in
gear and kill ourselves, and we were always careful in their car.

The complaint of both my parents and most people I met at that time was that the
Imperial and Chryslers were "too square."  To me, the "Coke bottle" look that
was becoming popular then was stupid looking.  Looking back on it, I still
prefer the Chryslers and Imperials, and I still tend to like squarish looking
cars, but the '68 Pontiacs don't look all that bad.

Thank God for nice neighbors with cool cars!

Mark