EGR Valves and Vacuum Amplifiers

can you by-pass the vacuum amplifier (mine is not working) and apply manifold vacuum straight to the CCEGR valve in the radiator in order to get the EGR valve to function?...only reason is to eliminate the pinging on acceleration..never thought I would be trying to get a EGR valve to work!  thanks!

mark blitman
'74 Imperial