edelbrock/carter carbs

Rob...
Yep again....

>Ok Rick,
>I'm with you, except...
>The AFB is a square bore.  The Q jet and thermoquad are spread bores.  You
>can mate a square bore to spread bore manifold with an adapter. It may seem

>sloppy, but probably isn't too bad since a one inch spacer is usually a
good
>idea anyway.
Okay.. yep. I stand corrected again...I was using the two terms
interchangably. That's not right. I don't think I'll be able to use a
spacer, at least not an inch. The TQ comes with a half inch phenolic one
,and the airfilter pushes into the hood blanket as it is. It's tight in
there. Thanks for straightening out my terms there. The biggest engine I
ever worked on before this was a 225 Flathead Plymouth.. one barrel. I'm new
to the incredible complexity of late 70's V8's. I have hope that it will all
work when I strip off the uneccesaries and simplify.. I'm big into
simplicity.

>I have some experience with a "new" carter AFB a 9636.  It is 625cfm w/an
>electric choke.  It is on my 360 carb conversion '83 Imperial.  $250 at
>Summit with Mopar linkage.  The car runs great, pretty quick and has all
>emissions systems intact.
Rob..did you get the closed fuel system to hook up to the new AFB? In and
out vents for the canister? That's the remaining problem for an updated carb
on the 318's I've got. (Four of em now, and they are all Federal or
California models...the most  complicated of all...)
  It's all not
>peaches and cream though, the car runs very rich and gets awful mileage.  I

>can't really complain since I haven't really done anything to tune it in
the
>2 years and 18,000 miles I've owned it. :^)
Yeah, I've heard that about the good old 360's. If it's possible, I'd like
to get around 20 mpg with the 318 so I can Go Somewhere... like to Carlisle
next year.  But, maybe fiddling around with the AFB will get you up to 20
mpg.. it should come close to that.. the cars are similar weight, and with
the 4 bbl, you can run around on two barrels most of the time. I'd love to
have the 360 power...I'm just too cheap. Stingy. I'm hoping the TQ/318  will
be as stingy as me....If not, well then I'll just go ahead and get a 360 and
live large. Wahooo!
Thanks Rob...
Rick T