1960 Vacuum Advance

Hi, Jeff,

The problem will be that the later vacuum advances
have a vacuum hose nipple for a rubber tube, while in
1960 a screw-on metal vacuum line connected the
advance to the carb.

These later-style vacuum advances were calibrated to
allow only about 10 degrees of total advance, same as
the 1960.  If those later vacuum advance units will
bolt onto your distributor, you can likely make needed
modifications for the hose connection.

An alternative is to swap a good condition distributor
from 1962-65 413 engine.  The specs should be
completely compatible with your 1960 413's needs.
1966 distributors are okay, too, but they provide a
fraction less advance - which is not a bad thing since
it makes your engine even less likely to ping.

Note on vacuum advances from the mid-60's:  The most
common ones available are set up for the emission
controlled needs from 1965 on - called C.A.P.  They
provide nearly double the advance (up to 17.5 degrees)
and if installed will cause your early 60's engine to
ping like crazy.  Be sure you are betting the right
one.

Happy Motoring,

Chris H.

60 NY T&C