IML - Vacuum and pinging

In addition to DB's comments, I would like to add the following.  Some pinging
at this very light load conditions is unlikely to damage the engine.  I know,
it gets annoying, but the temperatures are too low to really overheat and
weaken the pistons.  One of the consequences of retarding the timing is that
you retard for all 8 cylinders.  However, most likely one or two cylinders are
responsible for the pinging due to increased compression ratio by the
deposits.  So, if you like your engine to operate at its absolute best
potential, this retarding would be more of a temporary fix. You could try
cleaning those deposits...
D^2
PS, some racing engines have custom distributors where they can adjust the
timing of each individual cylinder to compensate for manufacturing tolerances,
so all cylinders run at their optimum.  That would be too expensive for us
though, and the difference too small, but worthwhile if racing.

 Adjust the timing