Budget smoke reduction

D^2

Quite frankly, I wonder if it is a combination of both worn rings and stem
seals.
The car has always smoked a little at startup, but has recently started to smoke
all the time.  The spark plugs are a little oily on the threads with carbon
deposits surrounding the electrodes.  The electrode surfaces themselves are
relatively clean.  The back bumper has a blackish coating on the bottom, but it
doesn't really feel oily, maybe it's too impregnated with dirt to be oily.  I
haven't performed a compression test yet since I haven't gone out and bought a
compression guage.  At first I wondered if it was a head gasket since the smoke
seems more white than blue, but the oil does not seem contaminated and the
coolant
looks healthy.   Maybe there is not quite enough oil being burned to get that
thick blue smoke that I have seen many times before on other cars.  But this is
where I say that I am a chemist, I really am not the master when it comes to
diagnosing/repairing cars.

James