Silver's cam

I'd just go get the car, replace the cam (100 bucks),
change the oil and drive it.  Any big chunks will stay
in the pan and smaller parts (if any) in the filter.
Won't cost much more if it dies down the road.

You can change the cam in the car, even if you have to
dump the ac charge and remove the evaporator along
with the radiator.  A grand is too much to fix this
problem.

Kerryp