From: Rob P
Sent: Sunday, August 25, 2002 10:28 PM
Subject: IML: What's wrong with my small block? (long)

Just finished reading about poor Silver.  I'm glad it looks like Mike is
keeping her.  Now for my misery....
Some of you may remember I (boy genius) overheated my car by driving with no
coolant last week.  Then I bypassed the heater, drove another 15 miles and
it died again, dieseling for awhile before it would shut off.
I went back to fix it and it leaked oil from the filter adapter.  Changed
the oil, changed the gasket and no more oil leak. Drove it about 4 minutes
and it began to make a thunking sound.   Turned out to be from the radiator.
  Dumping water from the oil filter.  Guy in Mieneke said you can't bypass
the heater and therefore the pressure was too high.  Added a new heater
hose, again on my way.  Car ran great for about six minutes, then if I
missed a light the clunking would faintly begin, but go away when in motion.
  It got worse.  After about 12 minutes I saw coolant leaking out and again
pulled over. I assumed the problem was with the radiator.
Pulled over, pop the hood and there is hissing from the valve covers, pull
the pcv valve and breather and it is hissing out of there and white smoke
(steam?) is slowly coming out and it seems to be under pressure.  What kind
of major damage have I done to this beast?
Do I have to buy a new engine?
Car runs great, like new for six minutes at a time.
Thanks for all replies.  Thanks to everybody it doesn't leak oil, too bad I
still can't drive it :(
Rob