1981 Potting Material

Oddly enough, I am doing the same thing to my 81, but haven't yet taken off the
support plate. I'm trying to get at the EGR as well. All I want to do is
replace the EGR valve and clean off any carbon deposits down there as well. Do
you think it's worth it if the EGR is functioning? Re-setting the support plate
may pose a problem. Did you have a new gasket or did you re-use the old? Also,
what caused your meltdown? I haven't had one yet, but have a lot of old parts
from junkers that did melt. Anybody think it's worth it to remove the support
plate to replace a functioning EGR? Or is there another way around removing it
to get at the EGR? I can't see any other way.Quoting DAVID MORRISON