No Boost, No Brakes (was Powerbrakes....)

No Boost, No Brakes (was Powerbrakes....)

I agree with my learned friend, Dimitrios.  When a booster failed on me
once, I could slow the car down quite significantly without the booster but
could not bring it to a full stop.  Ouch on the freeway.

I get to drive a lot of cars, including a couple with mechanical brakes,
such as a 1924 fire truck.  All will stop if the set up is correct.  I once
drove a car fitted with power brakes whereas my own car of similar type did
not.  Both stopped well, However when the other car's booster failed, the
car was involved in a nasty accident.

My conclusion, if it's designed to have a booster, the brakes will not work
if the booster fails.  If it never had a booster in the first place the set
up is different and the brakes work fine without help.  Stopping a big brute
like an Imperial would be quite a work out without a booster, hardly an
appetizing aspect for a luxury car, so I am sure they were fitted as soon as
they were available.

Weren't boosted brakes a Chrysler development?

Hugh