Powerbrakes....

Quoting Brad Hogg <roadhogg@xxxxxxx>:

> Well, I don't know about that.  It has to do with steering ratio etc.

Yes, you are right, this is very important too.  However, if the gear ratio of
the steering was designed such that the car can be driven without power
steering, the steering response would have been too slow, just like the bus you
are describing.  Imperials were sporty as much as big, so a fast steering ratio
was necessary.  Theoritically, you can do the same with the brakes, install a
huge mechanical advantage.  The result is the same, huge pedal travel.  Still,
with  a "normal size" car you can have boh reasonable ratios and still
driveable w/out power steering, brakes.
D^2