90's Imperial brakes

Well, ABS is an interesting thing....
--- Matt Hopkins <mhoppy@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> I am not quite sure this is your
> problem as I understand that if ABS fails the brakes
> will still work.

        In theory or paper, a car with ABS is a car with an
onboard computer which assists in the control of the
powerbrakes, in an effort to keep control of the car
during ice, sand, or other such road conditions which
may cause the car's brakes to not control the car as
well. This then eliminates the need for the driver of
an ABS car to pump the brakes in the winter.
        So then the ABS system assists the powerbrakes which
basically assists the traditional brakes.
        However things aren't so simple.

        In making a computer assist system like ABS, the
companies which developed ABS (back in the mid 80's if
I remeber right... though its roots date back to the
60's and 70's...) made it so the computer locks the
brakes electrically, and the computer's outputs
control when, and for how long, and for how long
inbetween the computer causes (electronically) for the
brakes to brake. Hence the reason why an ABS car can
electronically lock all 4 tires through the use of
home made car security systems and such.

        However, several factors were overlooked with the
development of ABS.
        First, with ABS, the computer does the brake pumping
for you, so you do not have to pump the brakes.
However when they designed this, it caused a situation
where PUMPING the brakes on an ABS car causes the ABS
system to temperally lose braking ability. To those
not in the compuuter industry, this comes down to
losing all but basic powerbraking.
        When the ABS computer goes out... due to anything, be
it pumping the brakes, electrical short, etc., on many
ABS systems, this will result in a loss of both ABS
and powerbrakes... not always good.
        Also, ABS uses sensors to determine when and what it
should do. These sensors can get false readings, it
will often result in it taking longer for the car to
stop, then it would if it had a powerbrake system.
Also, if the car believes it is slipping when it
isn't, you may lose control of how long and hard it
takes your car to stop. This can translate into rear
ending someone, or getting rear ended if one isn't
careful.

Because of this and other similar problems, many
people dislike ABS and refuse to use ABS cars. This is
the only reason why there are still some Mopars
produced today with ABS as an option.

        I am personally fimilar with the ABS systems on late
model Fords and GMs, and they are extremely full of
problems, and thus a reason why I personally dislike
ABS.

        It is possible (and has even been done) to get an all
disc brake system off of a 5th Ave/New Yorker and swap
it onto a abs Imperial. These all disc systems are
much better, and have alot more stopping power, and
alot less stopping distance.

        Now one thing to consider if the ABS is keeping too
much pressure is a bad or ill-adjusted sensor
somewhere in the system. I'm not fimilar with the
Bendix systems, so I don't know what is used to
regulate the pressure. A FSM would be the best bet for
figuring this out.

        Have you tried contacting your local Mopar dealer to
see what they'd say? If the quote a simple diagnostic
fee for finding the problem, would make repairing it
alot faster...

        Just something to consider.