68 Imp Auto Temp still a problem

For Dick Benjamin (or anyone else who can answer):

I am still trying to fix my friend's Autotemp controls.

Our current problem is:  Not getting enough vacuum to pick up the master blower switch in auto or hi-auto mode.  The master switch itself is good, picks up at 8", drops out at 3".  About 17" of manifold vacuum is available at pushbuttons.

In looking at vacuum diagram (fig. 13) in 1968 service manual, P24-57, I see check valves #2 and #4 connected face to face (i.e., the vacuum "source" side of both valves connected by a straight piece of hose).  This can't be right.  Fig. 14 shows which valve port the vacuum "source" connects to.  There is no way the fig. 13 circuit could work as illustrated.  Does anyone know how it is really connected?

Also, does anyone know the routing of the various vacuum ports on the "black box" for varying levels of control vacuum?

Thanks for any and all help!
Dennis Martin