From: "Don Nonnweiler" <dnonnwei@xxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Sunday, December 15, 2002 11:21 AM
Subject: Re: IML: 60 roof inserts

| I'd be interested in acquiring a set of stainless  inserts
for my 60
| Imperial if this would help cut the cost of making them
| Don
| 59 Crown
| 60 Crown
| 65 Crown

inserts that were an
| > > option on the 59 and 60 Imperials.?
| > >   It just so happens that the machine shop I work for
has a fair
| > > selection
| > > of 303 and 304 stainless flat stock.
| > >    It wouldn't be too hard to make a template and glue
a couple of
| > > pieces to
| > > the roof. (I think).
| > >    I have never actually seen the inserts in person on
an Imperial, what
| > > type of finish do they have?.
| > >     I did some searching on the web site for a good
close up photo   but
| > > couldn't find any.
| > >     Any thoughts ,comments ,or suggestions would be
appreciated .

| > Although not difficult to do in your shop, the inserts
were cut and then
| > stamped into their curved form.  Getting the curve right
may take some
| > time.  They have the rain-gutter shape molded into the
long-edge, and this
| > may take some time to get right - you'll want some
originals as templates.

| > Doing this would probably neccesitate building a buck
that you could use
| > to pound the metal into the correct shape.  The inserts
are clamped onto
| > the roof (no glue) by the curved upper trim and the
lower edge goes under
| > the rain-gutter edge and is held in place.
| >
| > Done as OEM was, it should not make any movement if
pressed upon once
| > installed.  This may take more time than cutting the
shape and doing some
| > bending to be pulled off correctly.
| >
| > Question:  Why not get correct parts and use a wire
wheel to refinish?  It
| > is stainless, after all.
| >

| > =====
| > Kenyon Wills
| > 6o LeBaron - America's Most Carefully Built Car
| > 73 LeBaron - Long Low & Luxurious
| >
| > San Lorenzo/SF Bay Area

| > Yahoo! Mail Plus - Powerful. Affordable. Sign up now.
| > http://mailplus.yahoo.com

will be
| > shared with everyone. Private messages (and attachments)
for the
webmaster@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
http://imperialclub.com/unsubscribe.htm